February 28, 2017

Tidbits from eli

Our mild, ever so sweet winter continues here in Lakeland, Florida.  



The garden blooms have been endless . . . and beautiful ~



~ still providing nectar for the handful of butterflies who have stuck around all winter long.



Some plants seem a little confused with this year's winter though.  My tabebuia trees started to bloom last month ~ putting on a scrawny show . . . stopped . . . and then started blooming again in late February.  This makes for a less than awe-inspiring show leaving me quite envious when I drive around our little town seeing all the magnificent tabebuia trees just loaded with flowers.  They are quite the sight when in full bloom.  But no complaints here as I'll take what I can get.  Maybe this year I wont have an enormous amount of seeds settling all over the place.  I am constantly pulling up tabebuia seedlings through out the year (kinda of like the Everglades tomatoes!), 😀


My tabebuia trees aren't the only ones confused as my Christmas cactus is having a funky bloom cycle as well.  I bought it in December full of blooms and by mid-January it was done.  And now this . . . perhaps it wanted to show off one more time this year.  



And speaking of show-offs ~ and I have a few this post ~ look at this abused, neglected hoya.  This monster of a plant used to reside in my back garden.  It was so large that the thought of moving it from the table where it had completely intertwined itself around (and everything else in its vicinity) was a chore I definitely wasn't up to.  And when we were having our "rat issue" I saw Philip eyeing it a time or two ~ a perfect rat's nest.  So when we poured our very last garden pathway, which was next to said monster, I had Philip move the hoya out of the garden and to the side of the house in the arms of my Hong Kong orchid tree.  Really more like into the feet of the orchid tree as it sits in the V of the two main trunks very close to the ground.  I think the plant felt like it was one step away from being roadside because it has done nothing but bloom since we moved (and kinda neglected) it.  And I'm happy to report there were no rats living in it - just wasps.  Bad, bad, butterfly caterpillar eating wasps. 😡

 Oh how I love my weekends!



Every weekend (and most evenings) you can find Philip and I sitting here in "my" corner.  It remains my favorite spot in the garden and it's where I do a lot of thinking.  It's also where I enjoy my wine . . . and read . . . and write in my journal.  It's my special place . . . that I share with my best friend.  And not a day goes by where I am not thankful ~ for both ~ for our blessings . . . and especially for our family.

Carved in the bamboo section of Hollis Gardens ~ along with hundreds of others!  

And our family just got bigger . . . meet little Daisy.  She is Charlie and Hannah's newest addition (the pup in the middle with the pink collar).  One more and they will have caught up to us!  💓💓💓

Our amazing runner . . .


So last month our Jenn got engaged (a first) . . . and this month is another first for her ~ she completed a 15K on Saturday followed by an 8K on Sunday.  And she did it solo as her fiance was out of town.
  
To say we’re proud is an understatement!!!



Guess what else happened this weekend (on Friday actually)?  Mr. Hart was freed from his cast.  Finally, after 10 long weeks, he can drive again!  😁 And soon we'll be able to hike again.  But really, I'm just happy he can drive!  And if I'm happy, you can imagine how he is feeling.  

Well, that's it for now.  I've added a couple of new plants to the garden but will post about those later.  My Bones is nibbling at my elbow reminding me it's time for her morning walk.  She's so demanding (and so very loved). 💗

Take care ~ 
eli


***If you are not barefoot then you are overdressed.

2 comments:

  1. So much good news! Hooray! Glad that your driver is free to do his job! (I have one of those too.)
    Beautiful blooms, just keep 'em comin'!
    Love your barefoot quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good, I'm not overdressed! :-)

    What great news in your family and lovely blooms growing in your gardens.

    Enjoy the rest of your week and have many more great times in your gardens with your sweet Mr. Hart.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete